Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dec-Jan. Happenings

Well, I know it has been a while since I have had the opportunity to get on here and blog, but I've been keeping a running "tab" of what to add. The time is near, and Lia will be here at Camp Lejeune with me in the next two weeks. I am prepared and ready to take on the world as it comes with my best friend by my side. In December, I once again traveled to Morgantown, WV to spend a week with Lia. As always, I felt like a "new" man having her with me in the hotel and with me. We participated in some training with the trainers at Hazleton, and did many public outings, that on a normal occassions, I would not be able to do alone. It only strengthens, in my mind, how much she is going to help me. I can only look forward to the rest of my life, now. Having Lia with me, to be my "rock" is going to reinforce my new way of being. Lia is the best thing that has happened to me.

In January, Terry, Kyria, Brandon, and Allison came to Camp Lejeune to meet with an esteemed member of my batallion and to brief him on everything pertaining to Paws4Vets. I was lucky to have sat in on that briefing and to learn mroe about the organization in its roots and plans. I attended dinner with them, and another client, Buff, the night prior and had a wonderful time. Brandon brought Wyatt, which is always cool. Just having a service dog in the room makes me feel better, knowing that he is there for his buddy. Lia will be here Feb. 2nd tenatively.

This morning, I was saddened to find out that a great friend of mine, and fellow Marine veteran of Iraq, took his own life on Sunday. With my past with suicidal thoughts and actions, it really hits hard. I know how tough dealing with PTSD and dealing with doctors and people can be. It is not an easy road, but Lia has given me a new lease on life. In the future, I can only hope that my involvment in this organization can mitigate days like today. I can only hope that I reach out to those, as Terry and Co. have reached me. This is a great thing, Paws4Vets. This is something that everyone should believe in and accomadate. Signing off now, to take care of things, but please say a prayer for all of those veterans who struggle day-to-day with post traumatic stress disorder. Semper Fidelis.